Thursday, August 8, 2013

Onward and Upward... Life in a New Job :)

The last few months I have decided I needed to take a change in education to avoid that "new teacher burnout" that everyone talks about. I have been a K-6 cross categorical special education teacher and I have loved it, however, something was missing. I cannot explain it, but I knew I had to get back to the general education classroom. I have had 6 interviews and was told kindly that I am a great special education teacher and that moving into the general education classroom was not good at this time. *sigh* It's nice to know I am a good teacher but it was hard to swallow being told I couldn't do what I wanted.

Fast forward to Monday evening, I was given an amazing opportunity to interview for a Kindergarten general education position at Dennis Lab School for the 2013-2014 school year. In our district, this is a top notch school doing some of the most amazing project based learning, and the best part, KIDS LOVE LEARNING. I knew this was a long shot...so I went in promised myself this was the last interview I would go to before throwing in the towel. Upon getting there, I had about 25 minutes to sit and reflect until it was my turn. I took this opportunity to think about my grandma. She died in August 2011 and I have missed her everyday of my life. I sent up a silent "please watch over me and give me a sign if this is what is meant to be." When it was my turn, I suddenly lost all my nerves and went in smiling and confident.

As of today, I have received a phone call with a job offer from Dennis Lab School, and I have gratefully accepted. This is going to be an amazing experience the next year. I am so blessed my #1 angel and God were right there showing me all along that I needed to wait for this once in a lifetime job opportunity.

However, with an exciting change it brings me to leaving a wonderful family at Hope Academy. I have throughly loved all my co-workers and not only getting to know them at school but becoming great friends outside of school! I know that I will miss working with them everyday, but now it's time for a new chapter.

Goodbye Special Education and Hello Kindergarten :)

1 comment:

  1. CONGRATULATIONS!! I'm so excited for you and i'm sure i'll see you around DPS

    ReplyDelete